This may not be directly relevant to you though it may be of impact for someone you know, so please share this around with your family and friends!
Choice and control over where to live and who to live with has been a tough issue to solve for people with disability. Until recently there have not been many options to experiencing choice and control. Check out this new option:
Four simple steps to find somewhere to live and someone to live with:
- Go to website
- Register; upload your profile to say that you are looking to meet a flatmate
- Connect with a flat mate
- Look for somewhere to live with the flatmate
Or rent out a room:
If you have a room that you would like to rent out you can advertise it on the website
If you are interested please speak to your support coordinator at Interchange Shoalhaven or call us on: (02) 4423 0255 so we can help you through the process. We can also help you identify supports that are funded by the NDIS to help you live independently, including:
- Supports that build people’s capacity to live independently in the community, supports to improve living skills, money and household management, social and communication skills and behavioural management
- Home modifications to the participant’s own home or a private rental property and on a case-by-case basis in social housing
- Support with personal care, such as assistance with showering and dressing
- Help around the home where the participant is unable to undertake these tasks due to their disability, such as assistance with cleaning and laundry.
You might even be able to share your supports with your flat mate.
If you have any questions, we would love to hear from you!